Education and Experience
- Zurich and Geneva Universities (lic. iur. 1984)
- Clerk at district court (1984-1985)
- Trainee at Zurich law firm (1985-1987)
- Dr. iur., admitted to bar (1987)
- Foreign Associate at leading Chicago law firm (1988)
- Attorney-at-law at Zurich commercial law firm (1989-1993)
- Partner at Zurich commercial law firm (1993-1996)
- Founding Partner Badertscher Attorneys at Law (1996)
- Member of various boards of directors
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Swiss Fiscal Association
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Center For International Legal Studies, Salzburg
- International Law Office (ILO)
- Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Haftpflicht- und Versicherungsrecht (SGHVR)
- Member and selected attorney on Who’s Who Legal
In practice, most large companies are structured as corporate groups. Corporate groups are recognised and in certain areas regulated by Swiss law (eg, accounting). However, there is little case law discussing the characteristics of corporate groups, particularly the liability of group executives.
After spreading from Wuhan to Switzerland in less than three months, the COVID-19 crisis is creating major challenges for Swiss insurers, particularly with regard to whether insurance coverage for the effects of an epidemic also apply to a pandemic.
The Federal Supreme Court recently dealt with the question of whether the interest payment obligation in loan agreements can be reversed due to the introduction of negative interest.
Is surveillance of insured parties lawful? In case of doubt regarding eligibility for benefits, insurers in Switzerland (particularly accident and disability insurers) have a long record of hiring investigators to conduct surveillance in order to prevent abuse and to adjust or reclaim benefits if the doubt proves founded.
Shareholders’ agreements for closely held companies under Swiss law. Swiss company articles and organisational regulations do not legally bind shareholders to do more for a company beyond paying their share subscription price and notifying the company about shareholdings, related beneficial owners and direct or indirect share transfers
Interview with Dr. Markus Dörig about Thought Leadership